Many of the top athletes today train very hard in the sports that they participate in. They try to be the best and unfortunately some will do whatever it takes to get to the top. Getting that edge on the opponent whether its getting bigger, faster, or stronger. There is a drug that will help achieve these goals
What are Steroids?
Anabolic steroids are powerful drugs that many people take in high doses to boost athletic performance. Anabolic steroids help build muscle tissue and increase body mass by acting like the body's natural male hormone, testosterone.Source 1
How are steroids used?
There are two ways that steroids can be taken. The first way is by mouth and the second way is injection with a needle. When an athlete wants to make gains quickly, he takes great doses (Source 1
). Most of these athletes will take these drugs even though there are side effects and hazards. Maybe they donít know about the dangers of taking this drug.
What are the side effects and hazards of taking steroids?
There are many problems that can happen when you take these drugs with the sole purpose of doing whatever it takes. Steroids cause problems to both men and women who take these drugs. Men can experience feminization effects and a decrease in male sexual functions. Woman on the other hand can experience masculine effects.
Here are some of the effects on men:
- Reduced sperm count
- Development of breasts
- Shrinking of the testicles
- Difficulty or pain while urinating
Here are some of the effects of women:
- Facial hair growth
- Deepened voice
- Breast reduction
- Menstrual cycle changes
Other causes for concern for taking these drugs are:
- Bloated appearance
- Rapid weight gain
- Clotting disorders
- Liver damage
- Premature heart attacks and strokes
- Elevated cholesterol levels
- Weakened tendons
In addition to these effects steroids can also cause different kinds of mood swings from depression, to invincibility, to rage. Source 2
Who uses steroids?
When you think about steroids, you normally think about them as a drug that athletes use to gain advantages over opponents. You hear about professional athletes, especially in Major League Baseball, using these drugs on the news. Not only do athletes use steroids, but non-athletes use these drugs as well. Even though non-athletes are not trying to gain an advantage over competition, they use them to enhance there appearance and feel better about themselves. These steroids will give people the body building look and the defined muscles that they desire (Source 1
). Because of the fact that steroids give athletes unfair advantages over opponents and the fact that they are a health hazard, they are banned within most or all of collegiate and professional sports.
Not only do anabolic steroids interfere with fair competition, but they are also against the law. The Anabolic Steroids Control Act of 1990 placed anabolic steroids into Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act.
The Controlled Substance Act says this about anabolic steroids:
- The possession or sale of anabolic steroids without a valid prescription is illegal. Simple possession of illicitly obtained anabolic steroids carries a maximum penalty of one year in prison and a minimum $1,000 fine if a first drug offense.
- The maximum penalty for trafficking is five years in prison and a fine of $250,000 if this is the individualís first felony drug offense.
- If this is the second felony drug offense, the maximum period of imprisonment and the maximum fine both double.Source 3
Safe alternatives to steroids
One thing with using steroids is that if youíre caught using them, youíll probably be labeled a cheater. But the most important thing is that they are harmful to your health.
Instead of using steroids, you should:
- Train safely, without using drugs.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Set realistic goals and be proud of yourself when you reach them.
- Seek out training supervision, coaching, and advice from a reliable professional.
- Avoid injuries by playing safely and using protective gear.
- Talk to your pediatrician about nutrition, your health, preventing injury, and safe ways to gain strength.
Source 1: www.aap.org/family/steroids.htm
Source 2: espn.go.com/special/s/drugsandsports/steroids.html
Source 3: www.gdcada.org/statistics/steroids.htm